7:00PM to 9:30PM
|Members in Attendance:
(No Quorum)Associates / Visitors in Attendance:
Stephen Maakestad, Chair of EAC
Next Meeting Date:
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 7:00PM – 131 Rosemary Avenue, Auditorium
Action Items by Person:
· Steve Maakestad – Help with 2016 EAC Budget, EAC table at Octoberfest, Fall Mini-Campaign, Plant Swap and report about BoRit Cag meeting.
- Susan Johnsson – Work on the 2016 EAC Budget. Set up a time to move items to EAC storage area. Help with Fall EAC Events.
- Mary-Margaret Monser – Organize the Fall Mini Campaign about Ordinances, design ordinance poster. Help organize the Plant Swap. Contribute ideas about 2016 EAC Budget.
- Charles Charlesworth – Coordinate TerraCycle Program to collect specific recyclables at Borough Hall with Sue Garrity of Shady Grove (cereal bags, tape dispensers, pens/markers/mechanical pencils, glue bottles, plastic bottle spray triggers, cheese wrappers, juice pouches). Provide photo and bio to Chris Raines for EAC website. Help with Fall EAC Events.
- Chris Raines – Add photos from EAC events and monthly minutes to EAC web sitePost updates to Facebook page. Coordinate the Mesothelioma presentation with the Mesothelioma Foundation, Calvary United Methodist Church and Church of the Brethren for Sept. 19 at 7:00 or 7:30 pm. Design flyer for fall mini campaign and coordinate scheduling/publicity with Lois McManus, Ambler Branch Librarian. Help organize the Plant Swap.
- Rachel Rosenfeld – Help organize the Plant Swap and assist with Fall EAC events.
- Matt Cooley – Help organize the Plant Swap. Help with Fall mini-campaign, EAC table at Octoberfest. Provide input for 2016 EAC Budget.
- Raija Suomela– Communicate with park maintenance contractors to clarify proposals, communicate with EAC members about contract, and request that Red Tail begin work this fall. Work with Mary-Margaret on ordinance presentation and poster.
- Susan Curry – Provide input about 2016 EAC Budget and Fall EAC events.
- All Members and Associates – help to move tools to new storage closet.
- Council/Committee; Planning Commission ordinances and other updates:
- Ordinances: Mary Margaret and Susan Johnsson attended August planning commission meeting. The commission continues to discuss the environmental resources ordinances and decided to remove the section about probationary slopes. They were considering changing the probationary slope degree from 15 degrees (which is standard) to 20 or 25 degrees. The planning commission mentioned that they expected it to take at least one year to enact these ordinances.
- Proposals for Removal of Invasive Plants in Ambler Borough Park: Dependent upon quorum vote via email, Raija will contact Red Tail to clarify the contract details and cost and have work completed this fall. She will discuss herbicide application and which plants will be removed. She will also contact Mary Aversa to let her know about these EAC plans. .
- Next BoRit CAG meeting is Wednesday, October 7th. All are invited to come to Upper Dublin Township Hall at 6:30 pm.
- TreeVitalize Grant –. The deadline for TreeVitalize has ended and there were not enough applications to move forward with this program.
- Mesothelioma presentation: The Mesothelioma lecture / Coffeehouse will be held at Calvary United Methodist Church on Saturday, September 19th, at 6:45PM. The event was announced on the Facebook Page, EAC web site and in newspapers, and elsewhere. Flyers were distributed to homes and businesses.
- Health of the Wissahickon Movie: The EAC continues to seek venues to show WVWA film.
- Fall Mini-Campaign – Presentation at the Wissahickon Valley Public Library in Ambler, Race Street: Mary Margaret and Raija will give a presentation about environmental ordinances. Chris contacted Lois McManus and scheduled the presentation at the Library on November 5th. This presentation is a “Tea and Scones” event. Refreshments are served at 6:30pm and the presentation is scheduled for 7pm.
- EAC/Main Street storage closet: Mary-Margaret will move the Rain Garden Tour signs, currently located at her house, to new storage area. Susan Johnsson will schedule a date to move the EAC tools located at her house to the closet. EAC members will help Susan with this move.
- Rain Garden: Homeowners who have expressed interest in a rain garden are being contacted to determine if they are ready to move forward with the rain garden installations this fall.
- EAC Budget was briefly discussed. Approximately $1,800 is still available. It was noted that approximately $1,000 is available for the fall rain garden program. A suggestion was made to use some of the EAC funds for marketing to mobilize Ambler residents who to install rain gardens.
- Trees – The condition of trees located on borough properties was discussed. Mary-Margaret suggested making a catalog of trees in Ambler parks.The tree in Pickering Park that was recently removed was discussed. Before it was removed, two arborists recommended that the tree needed to be taken down. At the council meeting on Tuesday, Mary Aversa stated that two trees would be planted to replace it.
Raija said that we should be aware of tree diseases that might impact our borough. The emerald ash borer is killing Ash trees and that a virus is devastating Pin Oaks and the Hemlock wooly aldegid is killing Hemlocks.
- Tour – Montgomery County Recycling Center – Susan Johnnson contacted the recycling center and was told that tours are no longer given.
- Octoberfest – The EAC will have a table at the Octoberfest on October 3rd. Volunteers are needed to staff the table, and set it up and take in down. Chris will contact EAC members, associates and volunteers to request help.
- Plant Swap – A plant swap event is being organized at a Saturday morning Farmers Market. EAC information will also be provided at that time. The date has not yet been determined.
The meeting was adjourned around 9:00pm.
Items that must be considered before the next meeting:
- 2016 EAC Budget
Items Postponed Until The Next Meeting:
- Teracycling program
- TMDL Phosphorous Update
- Discuss suggestions given by David Morgan about borough trees
Next Meeting Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 7:00PM – 131 Rosemary Avenue, Auditorium