Members in Attendance:
Stephen Maakestad, Chair of EAC
Mary Margaret Monser
Susan Johnsson (called in briefly)
Associates and Visitors in Attendance:
Next Meeting Date: May 18th at 7:00PM – 131 Rosemary Avenue, Auditorium
Action Items by Person:
- Steve Maakestad – Develop brief lay version of Ambler MS4 TMDL Strategy, Attend BoRit Cag meetings.
- Susan Johnsson – EAC Treasurer. Attend council meetings and report on decisions.
- Mary-Margaret Monser – Coordinate Farmer’s Market booths – check with Temple Earthfest Displayers. Attend planning commission meeting. Develop and share a tutorial on using OneDrive. Add information and articles to the EAC Facebook page.
- Chris Raines – Add photos from EAC events and monthly minutes to EAC web site, Post updates to Facebook page. Draft agreements for the Adopt-A-Tree program. Schedule a showing of the Healthy Wissahickon Film.
- Susan Curry –Edgewood Preserve project. Attend Planning Commission Meeting. Research Tree City USA, connect with Denziens about adopting White Pines on Edgewood property, acquire the WVWA suggested maintenance plan for Edgewoods Preserve and Borough Park.
- Raija Suomela – Map of storm drains, Communicate with park maintenance contractor (RedTail). Add info to EAC website and Facebook page. Choose some dates for Volunteer Clean up Borough Park
- Karen Polesir – Touch base with Mary Aversa about new Borough Park entrance signs.
- Council/Committee Updates:
- Rain Garden Tour: Tour is planned for July 24th.
- Farmer’s Market: Mary-Margaret will coordinate with Ben. First booth will be on May 14th. Need to provide activities (educational) for kids. These could include overviews on rain barrels, compost bins, rain gardens, recycling practices, plant swap, master gardeners. It was noted that June 18th is the Arts and Music festival – EAC will plan to have a booth. EAC will also plan to have a booth on June 4th and July 23rd. Mary Margaret will contact WVWA and Master Gardeners.
- Health of Wissahickon film showing: The EAC will attempt to find a venue to show the Health of the Wissahickon Film. Options are being explored.
- Edgewoods Preserve: About $3,000 left to raise. Gypsy Blue dinner proceeds event on 4/28. 2 trees were planted on the preserve.
- EAC Membership: Currently there are 3 vacancies.Susan Curry to write up a call for EAC members for the Ambler Gazette. Bruce Jones and Judy Simpson were contacted. The group will use OneDrive to share documents.
- TMDL Strategy will be discussed at the next meeting. Steve Maakestad will draft a brief summary of the currenty strategy.
- Fort Washington Business Alliance: There will be a shredding event from 11 to 2 on Saturday. It was noted that the Ambler Savings Bank will also have a shredding event on May 7th.
- Ambler Borough Park Maintenance: Raija tagged limits of riparian buffer so it does not get mowed. Raija will reach out to RedTail and discuss park maintenance at the next meeting. EAC should suggest to Borough maintenance crew on how to remove the large fallen trees in the park.
- Shade Tree Committee: David Morgan is interested in creating a shade tree committee in Ambler and would appreciate support from the EAC. Raija plans to join. Need more members.
Topics for Next Meeting:
- TMDL Strategy – Transparency, Comprehensiveness, Public Involvement
- Adopt-a-tree program for trees in Ambler Parks
- Discuss supporting development of Shade Tree Committee
- Discuss expansion of environmental ordinances
- Mary Aversa’s suggestion: Focus on minimizing lawn chemicals for Fall Mini-Campaign
- Plant swap event with a Farmer’s Market, Spring 2016 (Mary Margaret)
- Edgewoods Preserve Tree Fest: April 16, 2016 on Edgewood Drive
- Update on Borit CAG project
The meeting was adjourned around 9:30pm.