AMBLER ENVIRONMENTAL ADVISORY COUNCIL
Date: Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:45 to 7:55 PM
Susan Curry, Susan Johnsson, Candace Kanaplue, Skip Kershner.
Quorum in attendance.
David Morgan, Estelle Wynn Dolan.
Next Meeting Date: Thursday, May 17, 2012 7:00 to 9:00 pm Buxmont EAC Summit (in Doylestown)
1. Review Borough Council notes (Skip) — Billboards must be an allowed use in a Borough –The Borough is engaging in a legal fight. Council meeting was adjourned after 20 minutes.
2. Review Actions from prior meetings
a. Downtown Trees: Two trees will be planted along Butler near CVS and Zina’s and two more in Lynch’s strip by next month. The pits can be widened by Public Works after the trees are planted. One CVS tree is blossoming; no news when CVS will replace the 2 or 3 dead trees. EAC ordered 10 bare roots trees to plant April 28 at $500. Susan Johnsson is the only private property owner who wanted a tree at $20. A team of 20 adults from Temple Ambler are going to help with tree planting.
—– The current “weedy and littered” look of the Butler Ave. tree pits was discussed.
1) SusanC will arrange to get the “water buffalo” from Knight Park to Borough Park to make sure the bare roots trees have water during and after planting and ask for any spare shovels.
2) SusanC will request access to the Water Dept faucet on Well #4 for April 28 and bring a hose from home.
3) SusanC will speak with Mary Aversa about tree pit widening.
4) Skip will bring his two spades on April 28; Candace/Josh will contribute one shovel.
5) SusanC will try to get more shovels from Friends of Borough Park, DCNR and Nat. Lands Trust
6) SusanC will prepare 6 copies of instructions on planting Bare Roots Trees for volunteers and SusanJ.
7) SusanC will contact Mary Aversa and Bob Rocco about cleaning up under the existing trees and mulching them properly. SusanCwil check with David and Ron Ayres about the wisdom of planting Loriapi in the pits for a greener look.
b. Rain Barrels Workshop: Estelle has a contact at Penn. Hort. Soc. That led a rain barrel workshop in Abington. We will contact PHS and find out how much they do and what the EAC needs to provide. We are considering a workshop in the fall (Sept-Oct.)
8) Candace will review the old emails to find the one from Estelle with the contact person. Someone will then call to negotiate what each partner needs to provide.
c. EAC Vacancy – The Ambler Savings Bank is displaying our announcement. After every member revealed how they heard about the EAC, and SusanC reported how past members came on board, we decided to try another article in the Ambler Gazette.
9) SusanC will write and submit an article in the Ambler Gazette and the Enterprise reporting the Stream Clean-up + Tree Planting + completion of the Riparian Buffer Restoration with sign erection.
10) SusanC will inquire whether the Riparian Sign can be erected on or before April 28.
11) SusanC will design a colorful card to hand to volunteers at the Stream Clean-up/Tree Planting and other events inviting people to join the Ambler EAC.
d. March EAC Conference: was cancelled due to low pre-registrations.
e. David’s Church Recycling: David had sent an email with the list of items that Church of the brethren is recycling. We discussed promoting this opportunity more publicly.
12) SusanC will invite David to write a paragraph if the church wants it to be publicized. SusanC will submit it to the Ambler Gazette and the Enterprise.
f. Moving First Recycling Container: The Borough never responded if it has a Trash container that can be placed next to the recycling container at Rita’s so that people have both options there.
13) SusanC will call and email again.
g. EAC Budget: EAC was awarded $1200 for 2012. $500 was spent on bare roots trees. $90 on memberships, $50 on the Home Grown Institute, and $160 on the Riparian Buffer project public education sign. $400 remains to be spent.
3. Stream Clean-up- April 28, 9:00 am to noon. Susan and Erik Johnsson are coordinating the volunteers and tasks. SusanC is leading a tree planting in Boro Park starting at 8:00 am.
14) SusanC will collect the garbage bags from WVWA, and deliver the gloves and wet bags to SusanJ’s home.
15) Everyone will donate whatever shovels they can to SusanC’s house or bring them to the Boro Park on April 28 by 8:00 AM.
16) SusanC will confirm that Bob Adams is telling people to meet at the Trax Café parking Lot at 9:00 am.
4. Storm sewer markers – There are 15 remaining markers to apply to storm sewers.
17) SusanC will deliver the markers and adhesive to Candace, who will check if the adhesive is still usable, and if not, order more from DAS Markers and get reimbursed from the EAC budget.
5. Buxmont EAC Summit May 17 in Doylestown will cover: Community/Municipality Effectiveness; Bike and Hike Trails; and Connecting with Faith Groups/Schools. This drew interest from Skip and Candace to go to it along with SusanC. SusanJ will be out of town.
18) Candace will check whether David or Estelle think they can go, and then RSVP for us all.
19) SusanC will drop off a copy of the flyer to Skip’s house as a reminder.
6. Skip volunteered to go to the June 5 Council meeting and report to the EAC relevant news.
Postponed to next meeting:
EAC website update
Food Coop update
Report on Home Grown Institute
Champion for Downtown Tree Management Policies
Meeting was adjourned at 7:55 PM.