Ambler Environmental Advisory Council
February 12, 2009, Boro Hall Conference Room
6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Members present: Susan Curry, Susan Johnsson, Sigi Koko, welcome Candace Kanaplue. Absent: David Morgan (music concerts). Two vacant seats. Visitors: Daniel Brouse, Judy Baigis
1. Plastic Bag-Free Ambler
Sigi passed around a well-thought out implementation plan. Susan C. has tried but hasn’t reached the right authority at corporate CVS to discourage plastic bag use when they open. David sent Sigi the names of a principal, and two teachers to contact about the art contest to design for canvas shopping bags.
ACTIONS: Susan C. + Daniel will collaborate on #1 –an educational brochure design
Sigi + David will collaborate on #2 –organizing a contest to end on Earth Day April22, EAC committee of the whole will judge the bag design contest applications from the kids at our April meeting so we can announce the winner on Earth Day
Candace will investigate #3 –where to get PET bags, printed, and costs
Susan J and the Green Committee will engage #4 & 5–stores selling the bags and in banning plastic bags in their stores, after the contest (and tax season) is over
Sigi will draft #6 – publicity for print and radio
Susan C. will work on # 7 –where we can get the parking lot stanchions, how many we’ll need, and where we might get funding support.
2. Bike routes and racks
ACTIONS: Andrew’s Cub scout plan needs to incorporate more criteria as suggested by Sigi. Scouts should also find the likely bike rack spots and mark a map
Susan C. will meet with Mary Aversa, Council, and seek permission to install racks
3. Joint Action by EACs of Wissahickon Watershed – The last recommendation** appears to be the most worthy of ALL the EACs working together to achieve. It would empower all the others. ** Form a watershed/stormwater authority to tax to accomplish necessary things. Next meeting: Feb. 25, 7:00-9:00 PM — at WVWA
4, CVS landscaping plans were reviewed.
ACTION: Susan C will type comments and share with Ron Myers
Basically, now I the prime time to get improved landscaping along Butler and better traffic patterns.
5. April 25 – annual Wissahickon Stream clean-up (Rose Valley and Tannery Run)
ACTIONS: Candace will do the organizing work; Susan J will be there.
6. 2009 calendar:
• Feb. 14 – 9:00 to 4:30–Protecting streams from stormwater impacts, Valley Forge $5
• Feb. 25, 7:00-9:00 PM — Joint EAC at WVWA
• March 2, 5;30 pm to 7:00 pm – Philadelphia Sustainability Awards, Penn Convention Center (free admittance to Flower Show afterward)
• March 4, 7:00 PM MontCo Green House Gas Task Force Round Table –Lower Merion
• March 7, 8-4:00 — Schuylkill River Congress –Pottstown $40
• March 14 – annual EAC conference
• March 19 – 8:15 – 4:00 – Trail Towns Conference – Pottstown $20
7. Quick REPORTS
a. Energy Audit — meeting Friday, Feb. 20 at 9:00 AM including Mary Aversa, Sigi and me
b. Downtown Tree Management policy – much progress
c. Green Committee – working on green business criteria and sustainability policy
d. Solar Power initiative — moot: unstable ground and likely CAG opposition to Asbestos site
Investigate a micro-generation initiative to put panels on building all around town
e. TreeVitalize proposal was rejected for $26,000 — Rose Valley Creek Riparian planting. We may reapply in the summer when growing Greener funds are added into TreeVitalize coffers.
f. Green Roofs of Ambler –Sigi will incorporate items from Whitemarsh that she likes
8. Pending Grants:
• Merck Supplemental Grant $75,000 (same project plus rain garden)
9. Parked business:
• Promoting the 12 step carbon diet program – web posting, paragraph for @ step we’re doing
• Green building ordinance-
ACTION: Sigi will email an action/decision plan for the Green Building Initiative for review and discussion whenever it fits on the agenda.