Ambler Environmental Advisory Council – Notes of Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Attendance: Members: Susan Curry, Interim Chair
Charles Stewart [Absent]
Kimberly Koczan-Flory [Notice of Resignation]
Peg Williams [Notice of Resignation]
Rich Palumbo [Absent – Conflict]
Associates: Judy Baigis (Planning Commission) [Attended 1.5 hours]
Ron Ayres (Shade Tree Committee) [Attended last hour]
Susan Johnsson (Supporter)
Next Meeting: Tuesday, October 9, 2007, 7:00 – 9:00, at Borough Hall
(usually 2nd Tuesdays, 7:00-9:00 PM)
- Minutes Review: June 12, 2007 minutes reviewed, made two minor changes to item 4.
July 31, 2007 minutes also reviewed
2. Secretary Rotation: Susan Johnsson took minutes.
3. Trees: A) Ambler has no formal Shade Tree Commission even though one is listed on the Borough website. There has never been an enabling ordinance. The formation of an Ambler Shade Tree Advisory Committee was discussed.
B) Assistant Borough Manager, Mary Aversa has asked EAC for a list of borough trees needing attention
C) A number of hollowed out trees were discussed—we determined to contact Julianne Schieffer. (see #7)
D) Gerald Hoy, the new DCNR Service Forester for Montgomery County, will come to Ambler September 26 to conduct a Pruning Training for interested EAC and Ambler Tree Tenders.
E) Old Ash tree in Knight Park: Was removed along with another tree. Mulch pile available for spread around trees in Knight’s Park.
4. EAC Membership: We will try for new recruits at the Oktoberfest.
- 5. 2008 Budget: EAC Budget request of $1,100.00 for 2008 was reviewed.
- Butler Ave Revitalization Plan: The site plan for the “Street Clock” planting at corner of Short Street and Butler Avenue was discussed. Group present was unclear about the orientation of the planting.
- Tree Care Guidelines: Susan said Julianne would visit before October 5 to examine Borough trees that we are uncertain about, scout example trees to use in the pruning training, recognize the scope of the problems, and advise us on getting replacements.)
- 8. DCNR Tree Pruning Training for Highway staff on October 5, 8:30 to 11:30
- Tree Tenders: Ambler Tree Tenders will be honored at Montgomery Green Futures dinner at the William Penn Inn October 30.
- Council Meeting: Susan reported on Council Meeting. Beauty shop will put in new windows and remove 2 trees and prune trees on Cavalier Drive.
- Oktoberfest: September 30 12-5 PM. We will have a table with a banner and hand outs
EAC will investigate using the free trial ClearStream bag stands for recycling during the Oktoberfest. Jimmy Wack’s staff usually picks up after events.
- LED Traffic Lights: Mary, Jim and Jimmy all have copies of LED traffic light report. Susan will contact Mike Narcowich to see what the county is recommending.
[End] [S.Johnsson+SC DR2. 10/10/07]