Ambler Environmental Advisory Council – Minutes of Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Attendance: Members: Jeremiah Couey, Chair
Susan Curry [Late, arriving from Plant Ambler]
Peg Williams [Leave of Absence, accidental injuries]
Rich Palumbo [Absent – Conflict]
David Morgan [Absent – Conflict
Associates: Judy Baigis (Planning Commission)
Ron Ayres (Shade Tree Committee) [Absent – Plant Ambler Conflict]
Next Meeting: Tuesday, June 12, 2007, 7:00 – 8:30, at Borough Hall (usually 2nd Tuesdays, 7:00-8:30 PM)
1. Workshop, from Congresswoman Allyson Y. Schwartz – Declare your Energy Independence: Tips on Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy: Workshop will provide information and resources on energy conservation and ho to make solar energy work here in Pennsylvania. Schwartz is offering the workshop throughout April and May. Contact her Montgomery County District Office at 215.517.6572 to register. The closest two workshops are listed below:
Wednesday May 16th, 7-9pm, Lansdale Public Library, 301 Vine St, Lansdale, 19446
Wednesday May 23rd, 7-9pm, Upper Dublin Township Building, 801 Loch Ash Avenue, Fort Washington, 1903
2. Minutes of March 13, 2007 (R. Ayres) were distributed and with minor changes from Susan were approved. Added Members of the Schuylkill Action Network title to the visitors section and added that the Planning Commission suggested that neighbors work it out amongst themselves concerning the developing a lighting ordinance.
3. Reports from Borough Council, Planning Commission, and Other Meetings:
Borough Council – January: (Susan) Drilling for the Knight park well did not work, cleanup is going on currently. Culvert near Ridge Auto degradation during the last storm lead to a discussion of stormwater issues in the borough. The new stormwater grants could be used to help with the repair. Susan will follow up on encouraging the borough on the opportunities of the grant.
Planning Commission: (Charlie/Rich) an EAC member did not attend. Jeremiah failed to follow through on who would attend.
Asbestos Community Advisory Group Update: (Charlie / Rich) No update.
4. Meetings and Borough Liaison Calendar & Coverage:
∙ Thursday, April 12, 6:30 pm – Tree Tenders meeting at Susan Curry’s
∙ Saturday, April 14, 9-12 – Tree Vitalize Planting, Knight Park etc (Tree Tenders, EAC meet at 7:45 am)
∙ Monday April 16, – Borough Council Meeting: (Jeremiah)
∙ Tuesday, April 24, 7:30pm – Planning Commission: (Charlie)
∙ Saturday, April 28, 9-12 – Wissahickon Stream Cleanup, start at Trax Cafe (EAC meet at 8:30), Kimberly
∙ Monday, April 2, 7:30pm – Borough Council Committees: (Jeremiah)
∙ Tuesday, May 8, 7 pm, – EAC meeting
5. Tree Tenders / TreeVitalize:
- Tools: Charlie will be in change of tools on planting day. Of the tools we might still need, shovels are our biggest concern, and we are still looking for places that will loan them.
- Registration ends at 11 am, setup for the musicians. Susan and maybe Bud Wahl will be the MC.
- Trees: arrive on Friday April 13th. Delivery changed to Knight Park.
- Girl Scouts: 140 girls with 50 adults, planting flowers with Plant Ambler.
- 1:30 pm meeting of EAC and Tree Tenders to review what has not been done and make plans.
6. WREN Grant:
- Brochure – not ready yet, door dialog also not ready, but planning a working dinner meeting of Thursday the 19th or Friday the 20th. Will discuss improving homeowner responses.
- Post Survey postcard will be mailed with questionnaire in early June.
- Middle School Earth Day Awareness. Susan said that planning was moving along with some of the activities to include a showing of Inconvenient Truth, mini solar energy demonstration, and how stormwater interacts with stream pollution.
- The project final report is due at the end of June, with the wind-up conference occurring on June 21-22 (attendees welcome).
7. Spring Creek Cleanup:
- Kimberly will have an announcement and small cards to give out at the tree planting.
- Kimberly will remind the boy scouts of the date and meeting time.
- Lunch afterwards will be provided at Upper Gwynedd Park, along Sumneytown Pike.
- Susan will contact Upper Dublin about cleanup of Rose Valley Creek.
- Participants are reminded to wear long pants and shirts because there may be poison ivy.
8. Vacancy on the Zoning Hearing Board, Alternate Seat: Susan expressed an interest to apply for the position.
[End] [J. Couey, 05/08/07 ]